Ronan is a partner on Ogier Leman’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Team. He is a commercial litigator with 17 years’ experience of high value complex disputes. His specialist areas include: financial services (FS); funds; banking and securities; insolvency and restructuring; regulation and compliance; debt and security enforcement; shareholder and corporate; pensions; D&O liability; and IP and reputation management. Expertise in project managing complex and high value claims in the Commercial Division of the High Court, Court of Appeal and before the ICC International Court of Arbitration.
What the Guides say
“…is a force to be reckoned with.” Chambers Global & Chambers Europe 2022
“…imaginative, entrepreneurial and communicates well.” Chambers Global & Chambers Europe 2021
“…excellent legal skills and discipline…very much to the fore in case management.” Legal 500 2022
“…professional to the highest level while maintaining empathy with the client and their problem.” Legal 500 2021
Key Recent Experience
- Advising a German investment bank in its $400M damages claim against Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley in the New York Supreme Court.
- Acting for Ireland’s largest construction company in its €17M claim against a property fund arising from the insolvency of Anglo Irish Bank.
- Advising the trustee of a Revenue approved, tax exempt, unit trust in its enforcement of a €6M debt.
- Advising a property fund in its £58m mis-selling claim against Ulster Bank and RBS.
Insolvency & Restructuring
- Advising a global pharmaceutical group in capital reduction and company restoration applications.
- Advising an Irish pharmaceutical group in its examinership initiated by its €15.4M secured lender.
- Advising the investor to Sammon Group in its examinership arising from the collapse of the Carillion Group.
- Advising a creditor in the Norwegian Airlines examinership.
FS Regulation and Compliance
- Advising a client in respect of: (1) the Central Bank enquiry into the transaction/sale by Davy of Anglo Irish Bank bonds (par value €27m); and (2) the Central Bank’s €4.1m fine of Davy.
- Advising an insurance intermediary on the termination of a representative agreement; passporting into Ireland; authorisation in Ireland; the provision of cross-border services; on-going supervisory issues; compliance obligations; policy wording and the Temporary Run-Off Regime.
- Advising an insurance intermediary on regulatory compliance including the Insurance Distribution Regulations and the Consumer Protection Code and Addendum to the Consumer Protection Code; the available exemptions to Ancillary Insurance Intermediaries; passporting within the EU; drafting policy wording and product offerings to ensure compliance and assist in commercial goals.
- Advising a lending institution on compliance, due diligence and acceptance and execution of contracts and SME asset finance.
- Advising a corporate client on its breach of warranties claim arising from a €28m purchase of a nursing home business.
- Advising a director and nominee of shareholders of companies with property assets valued at €160m in their successful minority oppression action.
- Advising an investment fund in respect of a shareholder dispute involving a €2.5m investment in a brewery.
- Acting for Belgian Plc in its defence of a $34m claim brought by its Irish distributor before the ICC International Court of Arbitration and obtaining a 7-figure sum for costs.
- Acting for a Dutch/Spanish Plc in its successful claim for €6m against a US based technology company in respect of the failed implementation of an enterprise resource planning solution.
- Advising German container manufacturer in its successful claim for €2.8m against an Irish transport and logistics company.