Maria is a senior associate in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution team in Ogier Leman and is qualified to practice in Ireland, England, and Wales. She advises on all aspects of commercial litigation, with particular expertise in the areas of property and construction disputes, and manages the prosecution and defence of proceedings at all levels of the Irish Court system, including the Commercial List. A CEDR Accredited Mediator, she has experience in alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation. Maria has a niche specialism in the area of liquor licensing, acting on behalf of Ireland’s largest entertainment groups and advising on the licensing of many prominent venues, including restaurants, bars, theatres, cinemas, breweries, and distilleries.
Maria trained in Ogier Leman prior to qualifying as a solicitor. Maria has an LLB in Law and European Studies and an LLM in Commercial Law from the University of Edinburgh. Prior to working in Ogier Leman, Maria worked in the Central Bank of Ireland in a support role to the Acting Chief Executive of the Financial Regulator and the Assistant Director-General of Financial Operations.
- Defence of High Court injunction by the public body for an Order for the closure of a major Dublin venue for alleged non-compliance with Building Control Regulations
- Advice on landlord and tenant disputes in respect of commercial retail units, shopping centers, multi-unit developments, and sports facilities
- Prosecution of injunction application seeking vacant possession for health and safety concerns in protected structure and conservation project
- Management of High Court and Commercial Court actions within strict case management deadlines/directions
- Representing clients in summary actions in the High Court, including multi-million euro debt recovery and security enforcement claims
- Project management of liquor licensing applications for large commercial venues (involving multi-million euro fit-outs), theatres (including cinemas) and breweries
- Management of liquor licensing renewals for Ireland’s largest entertainment groups and venues
- Conducting advocacy in court proceedings and in alternative dispute resolution forums, including mediation and arbitration
- Advising on brand protection/registration (as qualified trade mark agent) for established commercial entities and retail products
- Advising on cross-jurisdictional trademark dispute and prosecution of the claim in the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).